Sunday, October 14, 2012

Fast and Slow

Hey Abyss,

It has been intense at school over the last few weeks so I haven't found much time to write unfortunately.

We finished up with Weyni last week and we all went to see Invisible Atom with Anthony Black, after the show it was great to talk to him (seeing as he is from Halifax) and the rest of the team involved. They have been touring the show on and off for about 6 years, which is really impressive. They have taken it all over the world and played to many different audiences over that time. It was inspiring to know that there is potential to have a successful tour of your own work. Of course, it has to be good enough to have the following, but none the less still very encouraging.

Getting to talk to Weyni's husband Eion Bailey (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0047248/) was a pleasure. He is so knowledgeable and positive about the business of Film & Tv and gave some great insight and tips. I was truly grateful to the both of them for providing us with such support and reassurance about the field some of us are planning to traverse into.

We started work this week with sound designer/composer Antoine Bedard who also goes by the mononym Montag as a recording artist (http://www.montag.ca). He is super chill and has so much knowledge about his art and gets so impassioned by the ideas of sound and how they affect the human psyche, which is really sparking my interests currently. At the end of this week Maiko Yamamoto came in and is working together with Antoine to develop and original piece for us called Archipelagos. It is a physical theatre piece with original compositions worked in. I am stoked to see where the two of them take us over the next two weeks.

This week on thursday we had an optional workshop and I am so glad that I went. Myself and 7 other of my classmates worked with a woman named Rhiannon from Hawaii and she was mind blowing (http://www.rhiannonmusic.com/home.cfm). Her and her group of vocal improvisers were so generous and talented. They rejuvenated me as an artist with the work that we did. It is difficult to describe the experience but if you check out her website, there is more details on the work that they do. The memory of that night is one that will remain with me for a long time.

Friday was a big day for me, as it was the Montreal premiere of Blackbird! I was so stoked to finally see the film in its entirety and it did not disappoint. I knew working with Jason Buxton (the director) that it was going to be a solid film, but it was great to finally see it and what the final product was. The film has been sweeping a lot of awards as well, Friday night we found out that it took Best Canadian Feature at the Vancouver Film Festival. It has garnered 5 awards in total.

I feel so blessed to have been part of something so wonderful and appealing to audiences. I feel very proud of the film and only hope that it continues to do well. It is playing again here in Montreal on the 20th and I am trying to convince my classmates to go.

I will post some links about the film below and I encourage you to follow me on twitter @wayne_burns for more consistent updates on what is happening.

And check out my IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4517763/

VIFF press: http://www.vancouversun.com/entertainment/movie-guide/Blackbird+wins+crowing+rights/7386480/story.html

More: http://www.theprovince.com/entertainment/movie-guide/Blackbird+wins+best+Canadian+feature+Vancouver+International+Film+Festival/7384433/story.html

FNC: http://www.montrealgazette.com/entertainment/festival-central/Director+Jason+Buxton+Blackbird+keeps/7375729/story.html

Night Abyss





No comments: